With summer right around the corner, don’t forget about Bi-Cultural’s full summer reading program. For the first time in several years, BCDS students in grades three through eighth are required to read at least one book over the summer. Each book selection is meant to ensure that literacy proceeds well into the summer. Here are the summer reading requirements.
- Grade 1: Read anything and everything — reading is especially fun with a parent or grandparent!
- Grade 2: Read anything and everything — reading is especially fun with a parent or grandparent!
- Grade 3: Choose one of these two books and create a circle map about the book: Who Was Sacagawea by Judith Bloom Fradlin or Who Was Sitting Bull? by Stephanie Spinner.
- Grade 4: Choose one of these two books: Fourth Grade Rats by Jerry Spinelli or Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing by Judy Blume.
- Grade 5: Rules by Cynthia Lord and a free choice book.
- Grade 6: Blubber by Judy Blume and a free choice book.
- Grade 7: The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton and a free choice book.
- Grade 8: The Chosen by Chaim Hinton and two free choice books.
As an added incentive, don’t forget to take a selfie with a book that you’ve read (free choice) and email it to Mrs. Salm at email@example.com for a prize!
Happy reading, everyone!